Charlie Carter represents clients on environmental regulatory and litigation matters before State, Federal and local agencies. His extensive experience over 40 years of practice representing companies, governmental agencies and private clients includes the range of environmental regulatory programs enacted over that period. Specific areas include permitting, rulemaking, compliance, and enforcement matter under the air, water, land use, solid and hazardous wastes, toxic substances, and coastal management programs. Significant matters include the landmark administrative law case, Chevron v. NRDC before the U.S. Supreme Court, the South Carolina Chamber of Commerce on EPA's NOx SIP Call, and the West Virginia Manufacturers Association on the Clean Air Act Section 126 cases.
In July, Charlie was appointed to a second 4-year term on the North Carolina Environmental Management Commission, the agency that establishes rules and policy for the State's air, water and waste regulatory programs. The Commission is a 15‑member group of citizens appointed by the Governor and General Assembly.
Charlie’ experience includes nearly ten years at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as Associate Director of the Office of Congressional Liaison and Assistant General Counsel and Chief of the National Standards Branch. His representation of EPA included drafting portions of the bill enacted as the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990 – for which he was awarded EPA’s Gold Medal for Exceptional Service –, as well as the agency’s Bronze Medal for the Benzene Hazardous Air Pollutant standards.
Prior to law school, Charlie earned a Bachelor of Science in Engineering (majoring in Electrical Engineering) at Duke University, and served as a Design Engineer for Sperry-Rand Corporation.
- Environmental Regulation and Litigation
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the District of Columbia and Fourth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina, and for the District of Columbia
- University of North Carolina, Juris Doctor
- Duke University, B.S. in Engineering
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law Section
- Administrative Law Section
- Carolinas Air Pollution Control Association
- Past President and Member of Board of Directors
- Air and Waste Management Association
- Tenth Judicial District, Member
Honors & Awards
- Charlie has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) for Communications Law. Best Lawyers has been described by The American Lawyer as "the most respected referral list of attorneys in practice."