2626 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 560
Raleigh, North Carolina 27608
Dan Higgins is a founding member of Burns, Day & Presnell, P.A with over 34 years of experience. Dan focuses on representing businesses and public utility companies involved in the telecommunications, water, sewer, power and renewable energy industries. This representation includes regular appearances and practice before the North Carolina Utilities Commission, the North Carolina Rural Electrification Authority, and occasional involvement in matters before the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
Dan provides Burns, Day & Presnell’s clients with seasoned business and regulatory advice and insights on a broad variety of subjects. He has significant experience in negotiating and arbitrating interconnection agreements for telecommunications clients and he has tried fully contested regulatory and rate cases before the North Carolina Utilities Commission (most recently a water and sewer rate case tried in 2011). He has also counseled various utility clients on a host of regulatory, marketing and legislative issues. Dan handles commercial litigation for the firm’s utility clients, as well as construction and lien litigation for other firm clients.
Dan and his wife, Susan have two children. In his free time, Dan enjoys hiking and he is an avid cyclist. Dan recently traveled with his family to hike the Grand Canyon.
- Utility Regulation, litigation, and arbitration; Renewable Energy Development
- Trials & Dispute Resolution
Admitted to Practice:
- North Carolina
- Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- William and Mary School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1981
- Madison College, Bachelor of Arts, 1978
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section, Member
- Wake County Bar Association, Member
- Tenth Judicial District, Member
Honors & Awards
- Dan has achieved the prestigious "AV®" rating, the top ranking in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. This rating is the result of a structured peer review and is based upon the confidential opinions of practicing attorneys and members of the judiciary.
- Dan has also been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) for Communications Law. Best Lawyers has been described by The American Lawyer as "the most respected referral list of attorneys in practice."
Photo credit to Kumolu Studios.