Lacy Presnell has extensive civil trial and appellate experience in a broad range of complex cases. He has represented individuals and businesses in state and federal courts in North Carolina for more than 35 years and has been lead counsel in business and estate cases as well as serious injury and death claims. His trial experience includes more than 70 cases tried to a verdict.
Before law school, Lacy worked with U.S. Senator Sam J. Ervin as an assistant investigator for the U.S. Senate Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities (Senate Watergate Committee). He served as General Counsel of the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources in 2013 and 2014.
He has served as a court-appointed mediator to assist others in settling cases for more than 15 years. If you are in need of a mediator and wish to view his schedule of availability please click the following link http://www.ncmediators.org/lacy-presnell. You will be directed to the North Carolina Academy of Superior Court Mediators. Lacy is often selected as an arbitrator in a variety of cases and claims including business, estate, contract, insurance, personal injury and professional malpractice claims. He has represented parties in a variety of alternative dispute resolution proceedings including arbitrations, mediations, and mini-jury trials.
- Estate, Trust and Fiduciary Litigation
- Business and Contract Disputes
- Wrongful Death and Serious Personal Injury
Admitted to Practice:
- North Carolina, 1976
- Federal Court in North Carolina and Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1976
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bachelor of Arts, 1973
Professional or Trade Affiliations
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association Litigation Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- Tenth Judicial District, Member
- President of Wake County Bar Association and 10th Judicial District Bar (2003)
Lacy’s Past Honors & Awards
- North Carolina Bar Association's Citizen Lawyer Award (2013)
- Featured in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White)
- "AV®" rating, the top ranking in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory. This rating is the result of a structured peer review and is based upon the confidential opinions of practicing attorneys and members of the judiciary.
- Listed as one of North Carolina's best lawyers by NC Magazine
- Recognized as a Super Lawyer by North Carolina Super Lawyers, published by the Charlotte magazine
- Triangle Business Journal named Lacy as one of area's 10 Super Volunteers in its January 1, 2010, edition for his work with the YMCA of the Triangle Area, Inc.,
Lacy’s Representative Experience
- Lead counsel for four victims injured when a pedestrian bridge collapsed at the Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Charlotte, NC and he served on the steering committee for that litigation.
- Represented a family in wrongful death claims arising out of a NASCAR team airplane crash in Martinsville, Virginia.
Lacy’s Community Involvement
- YMCA of the Triangle Area, Inc., President (1997-99)
- Triangle Community Foundation, Chair of the Board of Directors (2013-15)
- White Memorial Presbyterian Church Elder and previously served as Clerk of Session
- Ravenscroft School Board of Trustees, Chair (1997-2001)